Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Hats on Parade!!!

YEAH, they're finished!!!

I participated in a "Hats Off" postcard swap in one of my groups and I knew I what I wanted to make. Just HOW??? Well I googled Victorian Hats and came up with various websites but the one that impressed me is the Ruby Lane one - the home of some awesome dress hats for sale.

Now I have to tell you making flat images appear 3-D is very hard!!! Basically they were machine stitched for the satin brim, netted poof and tail attached along with the hat form and veil, then the velvet top attached with a fine matching zig zag. Then the brim was embellished with hand embroidered matching French knots before attaching the feather and ribbon trim. Now up to this point it was so-so but the trickiest part was doing the silk ribbon spider roses, leaves and the floss French knot fillers overtop the feathers. I needed ALL my fingers to keep the feathers from being pulled into the stitches BUT it was worth it in my opinion!

So without further ado here are my Victorian Hat postcards. (do you hear the drum roll!!!!!) Now hope the ladies I'm swapping with like my version!

- Mine

- swapped

- swapped

- swapped

- gifted

- 272

- 274

- 273

- 275

10 comments:

Faye said...

Rose Anne, these are wonderful, what lovely work...
cheers -

Anonymous said...

Beautiful as always Rose Anne!!
Carol

Anonymous said...

Oh you Clever, clever girl. The hats are stupendous.
cheers Maureen

Anonymous said...

WOW!! I sure did hear the drum roll!! These are just gorgeous! When you set out to do something, you sure do it with gusto!!How did you attatch the feather??? Debbie (Maine) rquirion@roadrunner.com

Candi said...

Wow those are absolutely gorgeous!! Are you selling the extra one's? What wonderful work yiou do!
hugz:)
Candi

Pat .F in Winnipeg said...

these are beautiful, Roseanne, and i'm pleasedto hear that you actually used the machine for part of it. We need to use everytool we can inproducing such mini-pieces of art.
Pat F

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the email. Once again – you make me jealous of all of your talent! You are amazing!

Always enjoy hearing about what you are working on and seeing the results. You are one very talented lady!

Thanks and take care,
Maggie

Anonymous said...

You’re talent never ceases to amaze me!

Ann J

NormaH said...

My goodness girl, you really outdid yourself this time! They are mucho beautimous!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

These are just awesome – being that I have a great appreciation for anything Victorian I am sooooo impressed. Great Job – as usual.

Shirl