Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Fall Harvest

PHEW now I remember why I don't do any canning anymore! LOL!

Yep, I used to get zucchini and do up some pickles and then make my own salsa too! Actually probably still have some jars back in the cupboards from gosh knows when - should check and pitch them me thinks!!! LOL!

ANYWAYS, September long weekend I visited my sister Elsie and came back to the city with a Safeway bag full of beet leaves for my oh so favourite beet buns, another bag of young cucs and dillweed to make up my own sandwich dills and if that was not enough she got me working and packed up 13 jars of garlic dills for myself to take home. Now I've never made these on my own and I think the last time I made them with Mom was some 35 years ago - now should I remember how to make them? LOL! Yep she expected me to know what to do so it was hit and miss if they actually got done correctly. And off I went with instructions to do these up ASAP!!! Yeah right!

Well that Wednesday I made up all the beet leaf buns and didn't finish until 2:00 am and then up for work the next morning. Needless to say I was to darn tired to stitch never mind to do up dills yet too so they sat in the fridge - I also needed a couple of spices that I hoped to borrow instead of buying finally today. Them garlic dills got their daily shake ups and figures they started leaking but guess that's normal if overpacked like I did them so into the fridge they went and on Sunday I tested a jar and YUMMY!!!

Oh - today I took in one of the leaking jars (I tasted them at home first) to the office today and picked up some garlic sausage and my coworkers (about 15 of us) polished the works off. There were many compliments so guess I passed mustard with the preserves!!! Yep, my first time too!!!

So yep today finally I got going and three hours later had the cucs sliced, jars sterilized and brine cooking - YUK what a stink in this apartment - wonder what the neighbours are thinking!!! Oh well I've now got 6 medium sized jars of sandwich dills and if they turn out as YUMMY as my sister's were I'll be enjoying my lunches for a while that is for sure!!!

Now considering my apartment is so warm I have to keep these in the fridge and thankfully I have a large fridge and not much in there! LOL!

AND that's it I've had enough of canning and I think I realize why now! It's always everything all at once and it's all time consuming and WORK!!! I'd rather be stitching!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, you are a busy lady. Hope you can get back to stitching soon. Teresa