Thursday, July 31, 2008

Quilting Weekend!!!

First off Thank You to the Potters' for their great hospitality on this awesome weekend with friends. We even dropped into the Morse Museum and viewed Carrie & Dale Anne Potter's Double Vision exhibition (see my press review below) - just LOVELY!!! I can't wait until the book featuring Carrie's photos and Dale Anne's quilted items along with the write ups is released - hopefully in the fall.



We even checked out the other impressive displays and was very intriqued with this hat one - pics even turned out - WOW!!!



Then we zipped into Moose Jaw (hotel left LOTS to be desired I tell you - we'll know next time) for Mark Lipinski's Trunk Show (AWESOME but man oh man you needed an open mind for this baby) and then Sunday the Quilt Show!!!

Hmmmm I can tell you that my first meeting with Mark will always be unforgettable!!! See he walked into the Quilt Patch and recognized Dale Anne right away along with Susan and was whisking the gals out to WalMart with him. They said Rose Anne was somewhere in the store too, so off he went calling in this very male booming voice for me and when I answered and looked up at this solid man he told me to get my butt going as we were off to WalMart now!!! WELL I can tell you I stopped my browsing and booted it out the door without a peep, much to the chuckles of my friends and curious looks of other shoppers etc. - that is until I realized he was just a large teddy bear!!!

Yes a lovely time was had by us all (Dale Anne, Susan, Jody and myself for sure) and I still think my weak stomach muscles still don't know what the heck hit them with all the laughter and relaxation I indulged in! LOL! Now I can't post any of Dale Anne's Double Vision display or photos of Mark as requested by the artists. Sorry. Here's one of Susan and Dale Anne and you can see the fun they were having and then some of the quilts that I just LOVED without Mark!









Then after a horrible night in a "non-smoking" room that was reeking of cigarette smoke (place was booked solid) we ventured off to the park to the outdoor Quilt Show. I've uploaded some overall pics and one of these days I will upload the individual Quilt Show pics into my Webshots but I've no time this next two weeks. Sorry.









Susan just loved these ??? flowers - not sure if they are a daisy, brown-eyed Susans or mini sunflowers but they were everywhere along the roadsides. AND talk about my first time through at night and seeing mounds of snow everywhere ??? in June??? - well I know better now! The natural salt fields near Chaplin Sask.



And then the weekend was drawing to a close - I always hate that time!!! So after relaxing Sunday evening again at the Potters, Susan/Jody and I left in opposite directions Monday morning to return home to the day to day chores etc. BUT man some of those quilts sure have given me lots of ideas!!!



And I just could not resist taking the pics to all the different cloud formations - yes while driving through the windows - not bad eh?





Now these of the canola fields I actually stopped and even attempted to hop up onto my car trunk, didn't succeed and landed up with scraps and bruises for my troubles. WELL not to be outdone I got the pail out of the trunk and did climb up for this shot!!!



This one is near the exit on Hwy #1 to Grand Valley just west of Brandon MB. Awesome valley just filled with canola.





And this is east of Brandon somewhere and reminds me of the old western movies of the "hanging tree"!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Double Vision Exhibition
July 3 – August 31, 2008
Morse Museum & Cultural Centre, Morse, SK
“Through another artist’s eyes!”

First off I have to say I’d been anticipating seeing this exhibition by one of my very dear quilting friends for some time and the day finally arrived. There were days when Dale Anne would send us “snippets” of images of one of the projects on the go and ask for our feedback. Well I’m not sure what she got out of our comments as there was no way we could have guessed what those “snippets” (more like teasers as some of us called them) would grow up to be and from the display I definitely was way off target!!!

Now July 25th I finally travelled to Morse, Saskatchewan to meet with fellow quilters and on the 26th we all took in the Potters’ Double Vision exhibition with a personal tour by Dale Anne. It was just awesome seeing Carrie’s photos hung alongside the inspired fabric creations by her Mom. The fabric interpretations of Carrie’s photos or parts of them were phenomenal to say the least. I’m still amazed at how Dale Anne came up with some of her ideas, but I sure love the pieces in their own entirety. Some, naturally, I still needed Dale Anne’s verbalization to see the connection but the pieces by themselves are definitely WORKS OF ART.

There were two that tugged at my heart and purse strings with the hopes that I might purchase one of them for myself! Yes, the interwoven piece, aptly called “Woven I” is still my FAVOURITE right from the very beginnings of it’s involved steps, but a close runner up is “Reflection in the Rain” which has been purchased – Congratulations!!! I was totally blown away with this Mother/Daughter showing of their talents and would truly love to see such an event again and anxiously awaiting the printed book with the artists’ write ups too. Good luck to both of you in your future endeavors and wouldn’t it be something to one day see your names on billboards or in magazines and be able to say "I knew her way back when . . . " – oh yes that would really be something!

Thank you ladies and also the Morse Museum for hosting this exhibition.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

OAKIE DOKIE, that's it folks! I'm pooped and need my beauty sleep! LOL!

2 comments:

Myra said...

Lovely photos Rose Ann! What a lovely set-up for a quilt show! Wonderful! 8-)

Susan said...

Thanks for sharing the photos. There's one of the quilts I'm in love with! What a great time it sounds like you had.