Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I LOVE these Beet Buns!

Here is a recipe somewhat altered from what I remember my Mom used to make us (over ten years ago) and I pig out on whenever it surfaces at our family get togethers! LOL!

Personally, I’d use frozen bread dough now but then every fall we'd have this feast and it was all from scratch and these little buns were wrapped lightly with washed/dried beet leaves and let rise. Then baked till golden brown.

Sauce: (incorporated from various sources)

In a sauce pan fry diced onions and a bit of garlic in butter (or margarine) to golden brown and add pepper and some flour for thickening of the sauce later on (less lumpy this way). Reduce heat and add fresh dill (optional) and a container of 5%, 10%, or 35% cream and heat up but don’t burn.

Then pour the cream sauce into a pot and then use whole or cut the baked buns into pieces and keep adding them to the cream sauce until all coated, turn down the heat and simmer for a half hour or so till heated through thoroughly.

HMMMMM, wonder if my sister will make some this weekend??? Well Sunday Thanksgiving dinner was in the making and Florence asked her partner what he wanted with the turkey and dressing, whatever he says, she asked three times and same answer, so she turned to me and asked! WELLLLLLL, needless to say I got my beet buns instead of the cabbage rolls or perogies which were the other choices! He was not impressed - well speak up then!!! I even got to take the couple of servings of leftovers home with me along with some turkey and dressing!!!

WHAT A SWEETHEART - and it was her Birthday too!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, Rose Anne, that may make sense to you, but I am TOTALLY confused. ? You make the buns but wrap them in beet leaves while they are rising. Take the leaves off and bake them. Then put bite sized bits into the sauce and cook them up??????

What do the beet leaves do? Is this a dish for leftovers? It sounds sort of like bread pudding to go with the main course.

How close am I to the reality?

Anonymous said...

Hi These buns are great, but for some clarifiction, I chop up the beet stems and cut off a piece of bread doug the size of my thumb, then place about 1-1/2 tsp of chopped stems into a piece of dough and pinch the dough closed around these pieces. Then I loosely wrap the buns in beet leaves and allow them to rise, in a roaster.

As stated above I saute lots of garlic and oions, add lots of fresh dill in 3/4 C butter/marg then make a sauce by adding 1 C cream. Once the beet bun have risen i pour the sauce over them and bake in the oven at 350. till done.

Enjoy Rogalinda