Saturday, June 09, 2007

Wedding Cake a Makin

Oakie Dokie, Linda here is the steps I take to icing my cake! Naturally I left out pics of making the icing - boring and messy stuff. Here are the many soft pink drop flowers which are made with a steady and quick twist of the wrist and I can tell you my arm and shoulder are still killing me today! Then dots of white are in the centres.


Now I totally forgot to take a picture of the shaved down top for the nice rounded edge, this is a might messy as it's regular cake and not as compact as the fruit or pound cakes. This is then coated with a watered down buttercream icing, allowed to dry, then iced with regular consistency buttercream icing which I added some Mrs. Brown's Classic Chocolate Cocoa for taste and set aside to dry 20 minutes. I knew I could not smooth this to perfection with my spatula so I cheated and used a paper towel and softly smoothed down the icing and leaving a slight pattern - hey ground is not smooth right!


Here I've used a shell tip and added the bottom border.

Then came the fun and games and guesswork of where and how to do the vine work up from the bottom, think it turned out okay.

Talk about trouble!!! With this humidity my royal icing drop flowers even with 4 days to dry were still sticky and soft and needless to say a pain to lift off the board and attach to the vines without dropping or breaking them.

Phew that's finally completed and now the tiny leaves to add helter skelter. Then I looked and something is still missing and the base looked funny with only the one stem from the ground so I practiced and made the ferns. I think that looks mucho better.

Okay, now for the supports for the cake top but wait I don't have the cake top so don't know the size, will have to wait till I get this baby to the hall and then will know where to insert the supports.

Now ain't they cute! I think I did an not bad job of matching the colours!!!


And here is a closeup of the cake and top only! I sure hope that Carla and Dwayne like it!

5 comments:

Linda Mullen said...

Thank you, that was very interesting. You're making me hungry and I'm just on my way to bed.

Anonymous said...

Rose Anne! Now that's my kind of wedding cake. I LOVE it! It's so cute and fun.

Ursula

Anonymous said...

Just totally beautiful RoseAnne, you clever chook you!

Faye said...

Rose Anne, you're a woman of many talents, aren't you. Lovely work on the wedding cake...
cheers - Faye

crazyQstitcher said...

A lovely cake and the tiny flowers are terrific on it. Such a lot on work making them and well worth it.