Thursday, June 28, 2007

Retreat project pics

Okay here are the pics of the Selvedge Challenge hosted prior to the June Retreat and there were three entries for this with online voting for Viewers Choice which I won.



Here is my reversible "vest", possible with some friends saving and sending me their selvedges over the last six months or so plus I was cutting off whatever I could from one side of my stash fabrics. I had cut rectangle pieces of cotton batiste, drawn 45 degree lines for guidance, layered on top of wrong side of backing and started stitching from corner to corner on all four pieces and then cut out the vest and stitched together and bound the raw edges.



And here are the other two entries, coasters and holder by Dale Anne P and the apron and potholders by my sister Sylvia. Apparently the group will be enjoying another online "selvedge" challenge again this year.

Now here is another challenge "All Creatures Great and Small" that was hosted prior to the retreat with the winner decided by "Viewers Choice" at the retreat. It had to have an animal print, a crazy patched block and some embellishments of bone, horn, feather or shells (which was exempt if you were a firt time retreater). There were five entries and neither of us won.



Here's me working on the satin stitching down through the top, batting and backing all in one step and borders added on in that same process - fast and just great for small projects.





Now here are pics of my sister's challenge, basically a horizontal panel that she butchered up and turned it into a vertical one, removing the large eagle and replacing it with a smaller one from the "pillow panels" by the same designer. Then she made a crazy patch rock and stitched that in the foreground before anchoring the overlapping pieces in place - very ingenious I say!

2 comments:

Linda Mullen said...

that doesn't look like Rita.....Are you cheating on her/it? (get your minds out of the gutters people, Rita is her sewing machine).

Rose Anne B said...

Oh you betcha Linda, that is Rita, she's just hiding under the quilting! And she's still sewing like a charm and I'm cleaning here more often too with the mini vac!