Saturday, August 19, 2006

Quilting Group meeting

WOW it was great to have a day off again! I made some tangy pork ribs and vinegar coleslaw for the potluck and joined our local group of quilters for a day of chit chat and some even worked! This is the second month in a row that I've carted my stuff (sore shoulder and all) and not even set it up! This month we also had a demo planned - various ways to make fabric postcards. Yep, I did one and mine naturally was based on a simple way to put them together. Here's a blurb on how I do my crazy patch fabric postcards.

Basically I prepare my paper pieced crazy patch (add in yarns and trims in seams desired) in whatever shape I desire and baste onto a batiste or cheaper cottons for the 4X6" PC and do all my hand embroidery now. Some I just do the whole rectangle but some I have a template and cut out a "frame" of some light weight upholstery fabric with a woodgrain type design and temporarily glue over the heart to hold to the batiste background. Then I choose a fancy stitch and edge the heart. Now I add my beads, buttons and other trims that would have interfered with the edge stitching. Now I've purchased FlexiFirm (double sided fusible compressed poly batting I guess - similar to that used for fabric bowls) and after trimming my fronts and computer prepared backs I then fuse all together. Using the same thread as the inner heart edging I secure the outer edge of the PC with the same stitch. VOILA! it is ready to be shipped off to whomever. Here is a picture of one of my first PCs.


This is another miniature quilt I made on my own by reducing the pieces of a 12.5" Four Winds block that were collected from across Canada (maybe elsewhere too) for family quilts of the slain four RCMP's near Mayerthorpe Alberta in 2005. I loved the block so much that I reduced it to a 4" size and perservered stitching it up and now have my own 4-block mini just above my PC.

2 comments:

Dale Anne Potter said...

Sometimes a person jsut needs to have a gabbing session at those group gatherings!!! LOL
I LOVE the look of the miniature 4 winds quilts - GREAT JOB!

Susan said...

The postcard is interesting. Thanks for explaining how you do it.